Year 3: The Church Engages
All are invited to be a voice for the future of the Church in the Archdiocese of St. Paul/Minneapolis. Please join the St. Patrick Community at St. Patrick on Thursday’s from September 30 through November 4 and participate in these important 6-week discussion groups, either from 9-11am or 6:30-8:30pm.
A recap from year 1 and 2: THE CHURCH PREPARES – 19 prayer and listening events. 11 focus events. 8,173 participants. 35,026 comments
Last year, Archbishop Hebda called for the archdiocese to embrace becoming a “listening Church” in preparation for an archdiocesan Synod. From September 2019 to March 2020, thousands of Catholics shared what was on their hearts and minds when it comes to their parishes and the Church, and listened to what others had to say. Archbishop Hebda listened, too, and also tasked a team to code and analyze the information received. After prayerful discernment and consultation, the archbishop has determined which themes deserve a deeper dive as the local Church looks to its future!
Next steps: although there are many indicators of vibrancy in our archdiocese, we look to be strengthened and enriched by a Synod process that will intensively address 3 Focus areas:
1) Forming parishes that are in the service of evangelization.
- Welcoming parishes
- Collaboration in parish ministry
- Liturgy and the Sunday experience
- Parish evangelization
- Bringing the implications of the Gospel into our communities
2) Forming missionary disciples who know Jesus’ love and respond to His call.
- Personally encounter Jesus
- Tools to foster discipleship
- Enhancing adult formation
- Fostering the universal call to holiness
- Joyful service as a Gospel imperative
3) Forming youth and young adults in and for a Church that is always young.
- Supporting parents as primary educators
- Helping the young encounter Jesus
- Education at the service of encountering Christ
- Ministry to millennials
- Rethinking structures of young adult ministry
Roles for the Discussion Groups
(Please prayerfully consider not only being in a discussion group, but also in a leadership role as a Facilitator or Scribe.)
Parish Discussion Group Facilitator
The facilitator promotes a meaningful and charitable discussion in the discussion group using the Table Discussion Guidelines (provided in the session handout).
In addition, the facilitator is a member of the Synod discussion group who participates in the discussion and provides individual feedback.
Facilitators are asked to attend one training in later August or September. Trainings will be offered many days each week via Zoom, with a few trainings offered in person.
Parish Discussion Group Scribe
At the end of discussion, the scribe collects the individual feedback forms completed by members of their group and submits the information electronically to the Archdiocese. The scribe does not document the table discussion.
In addition, the scribe is a member of the Synod group who participates in the discussion and provides their own individual feedback.
Scribes are asked to attend one training in August or September. Trainings will be offered many days each week via Zoom, with a few trainings offered in person
Facilitators and Scribes will partake in a 30 minute training that includes time for Q&A. If you are interested in this role, we will send you the link to register for the training.
– Virtual – 5 weeks starting August 23, 30, September 6, 13, 20
– Live – one in each vicariate and one in a central location
PLEASE JOIN US IN SEPTEMBER – SIGN UP BELOW