The Elementary Formation program is centered on weekly family gatherings and lessons.
Elementary Formation is a K-5th grade Catholic religious education program that is based on the fundamental principle that parents are the primary educators in the faith of their children. The program, which was created, developed, and tested locally for over twenty years at the Church of St. Paul in Ham Lake, MN, is used by parishes and families across the US and Canada.
Weekly Family Lessons
The Elementary Formation program is centered on weekly family gatherings where lessons, provided by the church, are worked on and discussed by parents and their children at home. Those weekly home lessons are then supplemented with monthly meetings at the church where students, led by a trained catechist, gather to learn about a topic in a classroom setting, while their parents meet to receive instruction on the same topic. Ideally, this shared learning experience spills over into the family’s everyday life and leads to discussion in the home about the Catholic Faith, and ultimately, to fuller growth into the life of the Church.
- A great Catholic curriculum!
- Brings the Faith alive through dynamic lessons, activities, and audio CD’s
- Follows the three-year liturgical cycle and points families to what is happening in the Church year
- Is driven by Sacred Scripture
- Is faithful to the teaching of the Magisterium (The teaching authority of the Church)
- References the Catechism of the Catholic Church
- Received the Imprimatur of Archbishop Harry J. Flynn of the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis
- Provides adult formation and grade specific classroom curriculum
- Provides weekly family home lessons, which enable parents to be the primary educators of their children in the faith
- Families may choose from the following sessions for Grades K, 1, 3, 4, & 5
- Sunday – 9:15am -10:45am
- Families are encouraged to attend 11:00am Mass after this session
- Wednesday – 6:00pm – 7:30pm
- Sunday – 9:15am -10:45am
These classes are generally the 1st Sunday and 1st Wednesday of the month, October through May.
Please confirm by checking the Faith Formation calendar.
Families with children in the second year of catechetical instruction (typically 2nd grade) will enter the sacramental preparation program. This class meets on the second Monday of the month from 6:30-8:00pm. In addition, there are required retreat dates for the sacramental program. Please confirm all dates by checking the Faith Formation Calendar.
How to Join
Registration is required for participation in the Elementary Formation program, and there is a fee. Register a child for the program by stopping in at the parish office.
Many volunteers are needed to make the Elementary Formation program possible. Please consider becoming a volunteer catechist or catechist assistant and accept the challenge of helping our families pass the faith on to the next generation. Training is provided by the church. Volunteers are required to attend a monthly meeting in addition to the classroom sessions.
Questions? Call the parish office and ask for Tammy Molitor or email Tammy at firstname.lastname@example.org