In 2002, the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops developed and approved the Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People along with Essential Norms and Statement of Episcopal Commitment. The Charter was revised in 2005.
In compliance with this charter, the Archdiocese of Saint Paul and Minneapolis implemented the Protection of Children and Youth Initiative (PCYI) with the singular goal of creating safe environments for all children. The initiative has two components:
- Training for clergy, teachers, volunteers and others who work with children.
- Age appropriate, church-approved safe environment curriculum for children in Catholic schools, faith formation, and youth ministry programs.
- Grades K -5 will be using the “Child Safety Matters” Program by the Monique Burr Foundation (MBF) Parent Letter from Archbishop Hebda Archbishop Hebda OPCY Curriculum K5 Parent Letter. If your family chooses to OPT-Out of the K-5 Safety Curriculum, please fill out this form and turn it in to Tammy at classes. Safety Curriculum Parent Opt-Out 17-18
- Grades 6-8 will be using the “NetSmartz” curriculum
- 9th Grade and up will be utilizing “Creating Safe and Sacred Places”
- For the Safe Environment Curriculum Alignments, the Principles for Child Protection Catechesis, or the Approved Curricula_2017-2018 please follow the links provided.
For more information, visit the Archdiocese website.